THIS WEEK: “Set Up!” This marks the start of Kamen Rider X (1974), featuring the “kaizorg” Keisuke Jin. It just so happens that this series is Sven and Van’s blindspot as far as showa goes, so this will be a journey for everyone. Join them as they fret over the darker turns the show takes; a dastardly crossover threatens the hosts where it hurts them the most; the GOD General Commander employs a ruthless real estate genius; the Shakespeare references get out of hand; and Van attempts a goof and botches both the takeoff and the landing in extraordinary fashion. You know what Kamen Rider really needed? More gun.
Content warning: Two episodes in this coverage contain depictions of suicide.
(Timestamp #1: 2:00:59 – 2:04:46 )
(Timestamp #2: 2:07:41 – 2:20:38 …basically all of ep7.)
In general, this coverage contains discussion of abusive family dynamics.
- Kamen Rider X (1974) 1-7
- Neptune, Pannic, Hercules, Medusa, Cyclops, Bullman Minotaur, Birdman Icarus
- Preamble and Dramatis Personae
- The shinwakaijin, or Mythology Monsters
- warfarem’n (Warfare Agents)
- Keisuke and Keitaro Jin
- The Government of Darkness, G.O.D.
- Ballistics-proofing with Dr. Sven
- Trek sidebar: Why are scientists like this, actually
- AI duplicates
- Transformation sequences!
- Masculinity in Rider
- Pragmatism vs humantarianism
- Sidebar: Egyptus from 1971
- “Alpha Gas”
- Highway chase scenes! Budget!!
- Forgotten character development
- The return of Tobei Tachibana, bike grampa
- Mood whiplash!!!
- Skull Man flashbacks
- “Fight! Seven Riders!! Showa Rider Taisen” – Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Megamax
- Ichiro Mizuki – “Set Up! Kamen Rider X” and “I Am the X Rider”
NEXT WEEK: Farewell, Hakaider Squad, we barely knew ye.