THIS WEEK: “Change 01!” The historians return for more android shenanigans in Kikaider 01, the sequel to Android Kikaider. Not to put too fine a point on it, the show discards its overarcing themes of what it means to be a human in favor of unmitigated nonsense. Does this make it better? The answer may surprise you. Join Van and Sven as they consider the practicality of a solar-powered robot with a battery life of five seconds; Sven has a temporary Dr. Seuss-related mixup; they see prototypical Sentai villain squad dynamics; and they are baffled at the mystery plot surrounding Akira and Rieko.
This show… might be a bit stupid.
The full series of Kikaider 01 is available legally in the US, once again through Generation Kikaida!
- Kikaider 01 (1973) 1-6
- Silver Shrimp, Blue Crocodile, Red Centipede
- Android Kikaider recap
- Dramatis Personae
- The Hakaider Squad & Gill-Hakaider
- Hiding places for blueprints
- Zi-O’s “Kamen Rider Kikai”
- Seibu-en Amusement Park
- The “Four Stage Attack”
- Jiro returns
- Gunta, a.k.a. discount-Hanpei
- Android mook factories
- Suit nitpicks
- Comparing Rieko and Dr. Komyoji
- SATANIC DARKNESS
- Everyone loves robovore
- Messages in bottles
- That goddamned flute
- Destron plots…?
- Fight choreography and lack of focus
- “Fight! Seven Riders!! Showa Rider Taisen” – Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Megamax
- Masato Shimon – “Kikaider 01”
- Thomas “Drax” Mogensen – “Happy Happy Christmas”
- RIDER CHIPS – “Fight! Seven Riders!” – Pachinko Kamen Rider: Full Throttle
NEXT WEEK: SET UP!