THIS WEEK: Tara joins us for the surreal 1995 film Mechanical Violator Hakaider, to once again discuss angry allegorical antiheroes fighting god. In addition to that, Sven and Van’s pasts come back to haunt them; we talk Amemiya’s pre-GARO aesthetics; Hakaider forgot how to dodge; old jokes are taken out of retirement for one last ride; everyone’s back on their bullshit, and if there’s anything we hoped you’ve learned on this show, it’s to be gay and kill God.
Content warning: Mechanical Violator Hakaider contains depictions of gore, attempted suicide, and (non-explicit but still on-screen) lobotomy.
Our guest is Tara Wrist (@ae2501maeth on Twitter, tarawrist on Patreon). Check out her article on DOOM, All Their Engines on Bullet Points Monthly, and her short story collection SO PUSH YOUR FACE INTO THE MIRROR UNTIL IT BREAKS!
- Mechanical Violator Hakaider (1995)
- Compare & contrast with Kikaider: Reboot
- Red Hood and The Outlaws
- Fist Of The North Star
- Black and white aesthetics
- “Jesus Town”
- Otherworldliness of 90s CGI effects
- Amemiya and GARO
- Gurjev and Michael
- Batman vs Superman
- Big bike chase scenes!
- The Good Place
- The rebel base; postapocalyptic tyranny
- Mechanical Violator‘s take on Hakaider’s tragedy
- Toshiki Inoue
- Ideological motives
- Kaoru’s role
- Guardians of the Galaxy & Escape From New York
- Hakaider vs Michael; Michael’s connections to Jiro
- Why does Japan want to kill God
- Postmortem and Mega Man Zero
- English dub trivia
- “Fight! Seven Riders!! Showa Rider Taisen” – Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Megamax
- Nine Inch Nails – “Terrible Lie” – Pretty Hate Machine
- Ichiro Kageyama – “A Cruel Angel’s Thesis” – Neon Genesis Evangelion
NEXT WEEK: Some old faces make a comeback to attend Doktor G’s book club.