THIS WEEK: Sven and Van do their best to build up the second-last batch of Kamen Rider (1971), despite the show being what it is. Between spooky cat paintings and nuclear-powered bikes, what could go wrong? In addition, we get tripped up by flashback fashion details; Sven indulges his inner fan of Fleischer Superman; Van indulges their love of terrible puns; we all have a bad time with fake blindness; and when this series hits 88 episodes – well, you know.
- Kamen Rider (1971) 86-91
- Eaglemantis, Kumolion, Catgecko, Canarycobra, Nezucondor, Centipede-Tiger
- Hongo can’t catch a break
- Gel-Shocker’s gruesomeness
- Consistently inconsistent flashbacks
- Death threat greeting cards!
- Blatantly magic paintings
- Physics With Van Ong
- On the suspension of disbelief
- Music changes!
- Actually… informing the public?
- Fake (and not-so-fake) injuries
- Recycled vampire zombie virus plot (pt. 3?)
- Eyeball squick
- Shocker Youth, once more
- Hongo’s isolation
- The “Hope” of Gel-Shocker
- Prey & Dead Space
- Roundtable: Leading up to the finale
- Timeline troubles & Heisei’s Foundation X
- “Fight! Seven Riders!! Showa Rider Taisen” – Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Megamax
- M|O|O|N – “Hydrogen” – Hotline Miami Original Soundtrack
- Masato Shimon – “Rider Action” and “Lonely Kamen Rider”
NEXT WEEK: Revived androids and rehashed formulas – the early signs of Kikaider’s growing pains.