THIS WEEK: We introduce our coverage of the Kamen Rider franchise; we have to talk about Japanese regnal eras; Sven shows off his voice acting chops; being an X-Men fan is suffering; Mr. John Toei won’t let grandpa back in the suit; Paul Marketing appears nonetheless; Hongo is the dumbest supergenius we’ve ever seen; no one at Shocker has a medical degree; Rider has been a hero for outcasts since the beginning; the Homestar Runner jokes will continue until morale improves; you should trust no one in academia; future Sven isn’t to be trusted; we hate invisible Nazis; we talk about Persona: trinity soul for some reason, and you should always kick a Nazi in the face.
- Kamen Rider (1971) 1-8
- Kamen Rider Series introduction, and general overview of Showa and Heisei eras of the franchise
- Shotaro Ishinomori, Toru Hirayama, and sociopolitical commentary in a show for six year olds
- Dramatis personae
- Takeshi Hongo, aka Segata Sanshiro, the actual coolest and strongest and God-King of Castle Superbeast with an IQ of SIX HUNDRED
- Spoderm’n, Batm’n, Scorpionm’n, Sarracenian, Mantism’n, Chameleonm’n, Bee Woman
- Budgeting props and effects with two 200 yen coins and a piece of string
- Surreality and psychedelia with Shocker
- The Great Leader’s questionable choices and Shocker’s terrible plans
- The heady days where safety protocols didn’t exist
- Hongo’s alter-ego, Cy B. Orgman, with the bombproof butt
- Shocker’s Nazi roots and why Rider is an anti-fascist icon
- Hitler’s Secret Treasure
- These fight scenes actually rule
- Hongo can hear as well as dogs
- What we’ve learned this episode
- Why toku and Rider’s themes keep pulling us in
- “Fight! Seven Riders! Showa Rider Taisen”- Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie War Megamax
- Masato Shimon – “Let’s Go! Rider Kick” and “Kamen Rider no Uta”
JUST WHAT IS SHOCKER?: An analysis by a gibbering Showa fan by cannibal-sarracenian on tumblr.
NEXT WEEK: We wrap up the Assassins arc of Cyborg 009! The suffering is real.